Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Fight in Asheville, NC...

It's been a while since I've posted. I've been busy with training and working.

Back in Feb. I took part in the Asheville, NC Toughman Contest. It was my first time fighting in any sort of sanctioned event. The Toughman Contest is strictly "boxing". No kicking, no takedowns, no grappling. I will have to say that fighting in front of a large crowd under those circumstances is very different than arresting shoplifters and you would be surprised at how much you forget when the bell rings.

I really had a lot of fun and plan on doing it again next year. I ended up losing a split decision to the guy who went on to win our weight class, but (again) I still had fun. I feel as though my loss had more to do with lack of mental preparation and failing to train specifically for the event than anything else (I trained a lot of grappling and mixed in kicking while training my strikes). Plus, there is quite a bit of nervousness when one has to perform in front of others. I'll do better next year.

Check out the pics of the fight.


I really felt good this round.




I had him up against the ropes here. If I had pushed a little bit harder at this point I may have won the fight. (Not sure why I look flabby here:) who the hell cares!)



PUNCH!




Nothing makes you feel more alive than getting punched in the face!



Train Hard,
Josh Skinner

No comments:

Post a Comment